People can be relaxed with locking up during the day, but more are conscious at night regarding the lock-up process.
I think security systems can be a good idea, but there are other things that are equally as important:
1. Keep trees trimmed
2. Keep side gates closed otherwise it looks like you don’t care too much about security
3. Have two locks on your doors
4. Don’t have your home look like you’re away
5. Hide valuables when you are out
What burglars like:
1. To look at calendars to see if the occupants have an appointment or are on holidays
2. Valuables that are easy to find in 2 minutes
3. To plan their entry and escape and the internet and access to house plans makes this easy
4. Know the names of the people who have been burgled so if a neighbour asks something he can say: Oh Sally wanted me to check on her computer". Mail will have the occupants’ names on it.
5. A house that looks easy to enter
Burglars can enter at night and even though we may wake, getting involved is never a good idea and the intruder is more awake. Secondly, keeping a weapon beside the bed can be seen as premeditation. Consequently, it is better to let the intruders leave without harming anyone and then call the police and describe the intruder accurately.