Yes toddlers need to take naps but be real about it. They can only nap if the environment is ‘nap friendly’! Some stop napping around 2 – 3 years and some around 5- 6 years. If your toddler sleeps extremely well at night and the day sleeps are small or non-existent – you may be happy with that.
7 ways to be real about your toddler’s nap:
1. If they miss a day then just put them to bed a little earlier.
2. Toddlers are not going to sleep if people are over or if the routine is too different.
3. A nice full belly before napping is ideal.
4. A calm activity to help them wind down – like a story with you.
5. Wash their face and feet and change their clothes if necessary.
6. Make it your rest time (best not to vacuum or use a meat cleaver).
7. Make their room comfortable – close the curtains, have the room tidy and airy.