Keep parenting responsibly
With relationships breaking down we must not ignore the new type of parenting we must adopt. The new type of parenting is to keep up the parental responsibility adopted when parenting in a partnered relationship.
In some cases the parental relationship may be able to maintain some sort of parenting twosome, however, if this is not possible, just be responsible when the child is in your care:
* Try not to give the child material rewards because they miss the other parent.
* Keep disciplining and seek help if you struggle: regular bedtime, homework, consequences for undesirable behaviour.
* Don’t forget family and friends when you need a break.
* It is not okay to let the child suffer. A child without boundaries is lost.
* Keep up healthy eating and treats when appropriate.
* Keeping up your parental responsibility will keep you strong.
* Show the child you are responsible and show them how you speak assertively to the other parent. Keep any negative feelings or emotions, towards the other parent, out of the way of the child.
* Know that children can manipulate parents going through a divorce…don’t allow this.
The parenting model is only new because we do it on our own when the other parent is no longer around. It is not foreign to you…just have faith and keep doing your best.