Sometimes a nap during the day is a must, but then when you have to wake, you wished you hadn’t because you feel horrible! If you wake up feeling horrible it is probably because you are not a natural napper!! Natural nappers don’t tend to fall into a deep sleep and this is why they wake feeling better than unnatural nappers!!
Many workplaces are installing nap rooms in the United States, so experts definitely believe a nap of 15-30 minutes is healthy. However, Dr Sara Mednick, a psychologist at the University of California, said the crucial factor was why people were taking naps. She said if it was because people were not getting regular night time sleep, then this could be a problem and could be a sign of ill-health.
Dr Mednick said it was a important that natural nappers had their daytime nap and these people accounted for about 40% of the population and acted poorly if they didn’t nap. She said if those unnatural nappers want to teach themselves to nap – they should start of with only 15 minutes. She said the trick was not falling into that sleep slumber!
A short nap can improve the brain’s function and improve memory and the ability to focus and be creative. So, it is definitely worth it for unnatural nappers to improve their napping ability!
For unnatural nappers, if your 15 minutes of napping doesn’t go to plan and you are in the early stages – here are 5 ways to beat the nap blues:
1. Be positive and know that the extra sleep you have had has helped.
2. Just get up as quickly as possibly – the longer you lie there – the worse it is!
3. Wash your face and have a drink of water and something to eat.
4. Go into another room (other than the bedroom) and give yourself a moment to get back to reality.
5. Next time, you nap, set your alarm for a 15 minute nap!!