If you find it hard to say positive things to your children – ask yourself why and try to break this pattern. Children need to hear they are special and loved and that they make us proud. Don’t worry if it is hard to say ‘nice’ things at first and it sounds scripted. You will get better at saying nice things the more you do it.
10 things you could start with:
1. You are a good friend; bring up a reason why you think so.
2. You are making me proud at School; state a specific reason why.
3. I love your smile; tell them what their smile does for others.
4. You have really improved with doing your chores; explain how this is really helpful.
5. You make me smile; you are a special little person with a huge heart. I love it the other day when you …
6. Your effort today was amazing to watch; you are an inspiration to others the way you …
7. Your manners are something to be proud of … thank you for listening and making your ‘thank you’ louder.
8. I love it that you are so honest and reliable; this is such a valuable trait.
9. I love you and everything about you.
10. Nobody is perfect we all makes mistakes. I am sorry for not speaking respectfully to you today. Thank you for saying sorry when you make a mistake.