I have hosted many Japanese students and presently I am hosting a 13-year-old boy from France. My daughter was fortunate enough to stay with the boy and his family 6 months ago and now it’s our turn!
There are many benefits to hosting, but I think to really enjoy the benefits – it’s important to mentally prepare yourself!
1. It’s important not too get too hung up on too many rules: just your main ones (like with your own teenager!LOL)
My main one is speaking politely and listening and respect. Bed time is important sometimes and I mentioning this because I do write for a sleeping blog! But I just tell them if we have to get up early and that normally sorts things out!
2. The super modern issue: I think it’s important to limit screen time and I do this by organising things outside the home!
3. Make your preferences clear and be flexible where possible.
It all depends on the student and some are shy and reserved, while others are confident and demanding!
4. Remember there are language barriers so sometimes this can make things awkward too.
5. Have breaks from the student and remember why you are hosting and cherish the fun times!